Recently, we changed our diet radically. We cut out most processed, gave up corn syrup (HFCS and regular) and artificial sweeteners. We try to avoid toxic pesticides as much as possible by eating organic when possible.
As we started on this journey, I went looking for other sources of information about nutrition and healthy eating. (A book I would recommend, Real food : what to eat and why by Nina Planck) What I found was information that seemed counter to what I had always been taught:
- Skin on your chicken is good for you
- Not all cholesterol is bad
- Ultra –pasteurization hurts the health benefits of milk
- Margarine is worst than butter
- Grass fed beef is healthy
- The body needs healthy fats including animal fats
- unfermented soy is not tolerated well by the body
This was quite shocking and a bit maddening. I also came across the idea that highly processed food and bad quality (poorly fed) meat might be linked to the rise of diseases such as diabetes, obesity, heart disease, auto-immune conditions.
Now we are trying to control our health with what we eat as well as by medicine. We still have a lot to learn but I hope you will follow our journey.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”
Post a Comment